In any business, there are tasks which must be performed on a regular basis. Generally, these tasks are assigned to a member of the team who has been trained to perform them. But what happens when that team member is unavailable, or it is necessary to train additional employees on how to perform the task? Creating and maintaining standard operating procedures or SOPs are a great way to ensure that tasks can be performed and understood by any of your team members.
At TurnKey, we follow a simple six-step process when creating SOPs:
- Record a video of you completing the process (a screen share) explaining it as you go.
- Once you’ve recorded the video, write step-by-step directions based on the video.
- When the SOP has been created, have a separate team member proofread the SOP. It is helpful to have them walk through the SOP step-by-step to ensure you’ve captured all of the necessary points.
- Send the SOP to a designer to polish it up and make it look professional.
- After the designer has formatted it, have your team double-check the SOP to ensure the designer didn’t make any mistakes.
- Create a task checklist in a project management system for your
team to follow based on the SOP that was created.
Creating SOPs may seem like an unnecessary step in your business process, but having clear step-by-step instructions for all of the processes and tasks within your company will save time in the long run. It is the first step in ensuring that your business becomes as streamlined and automated as possible!
Want more in-depth instructions on creating SOPs and other topics that will help your business to function well and your sales to skyrocket? Apply now and find out what services you qualify for that can help you systematize your business!